UE Code : IL3-CONEC-CONEC Academic year : 2016-2017
Information on the course unit
Program / Education :
Bachelor and Master of Science in Engineering / Bachelor and Master of Science in Engineering
Third year of Bachelor of Science in Engineering
Total Hours :
30.00 (Hours of teaching + individual study)
- To understand how the national economy works.
- To be familiar with various economic policies and understand their consequences..
- To know what indicators are used, their importance and their limits.
- To understand the interdependence of markets, prices and aggregates.
To be able to understand economic policy measures and to explain them by using economic theory which that makes up the rules of operation for a country's economy.
Chapter 1: Introduction to Macroeconomics
• Microeconomics and Macroeconomics
• Macroeconomic Issues: Origin, introduction to the State
• The Scope of Macroeconomics: GDP, Inflation Rate, Unemployment Rate (definition, calculation methods, limits
• Other key concepts ! (Long Term , Medium Term and Short Term , Gross National Product, Gross National Income)
Chapter 2: Actors, Transactions, Economic Cycles
• Economic Actors: Institutional Sectors
• Economic Operations: Goods and service transactions, distribution/allocation, financial operations/transactions
• Economic Cycles: Organizing flow between sectors and operations (actual flows, monetary flows)
Chapter 3: Economic Growth
Chapter 4: Currency and funding the economy
Chapter 5: The IS-LM Model in a Closed Economy: construct the Investment/Saving IS Curve, Liquid Preference/Money Supply Equilibrium LM Curve, the Hicks ISLM model balance and analyze the effects of budgetary policies, monetary policies, mixed policies
Chapter 6: The Mundell-Fleming Model (IS-LM for an open economy): Exchange rate, interest rate, trade balance, balance in an open economy, effects of budgetary and monetary policies
Introduction to Economics, Microeconomics
Teaching methods :
11 Lectures (CM) (16.5 hrs): Macroeconomic theory, indicators, methods of calculations, analysis, etc.
6 Seminars (9 hrs): Improve advanced skills/analyze/application of notions in Lectures (CM)
2 Project Work (TD) (3 hrs): Case Study: Analysis by country (group work)
Dossier + Oral Report: Know how to research, prioritize and critically analyze data in order to establish an economic analysis
Evaluation of group work: Dossier + Oral Report (groups of 6)
Final Evaluation: Exam 1 hr 30 minutes (knowledge check + exercise)