UE Code : IM1-SSOL-ALL-S8 Academic year : 2016-2017
Information on the course unit
Program / Education :
Bachelor and Master of Science in Engineering / Bachelor and Master of Science in Engineering
First year of Master of Science in Engineering
Total Hours :
18.25 (Hours of teaching + individual study)
To experience the workplace using situational roleplay:
To create a Facebook page and simulate an job interview
- To be able to write on general or technical subjects and avoid making common writing mistakes (special emphasis given to the quality and degree of rigor of the language ) while showing creativity.
- To use a quality control tool to make it possible for students to highlight their skills. This communication tool could be used during internship research or thesis preparation or during any other business project.
- To be able to converse with ease and professionalism during a simulated job interview (context: RI internship research)
- Language Objectives:
• To be proficient in using everyday vocabulary and vocabulary from a student’s specific field of specialization, tenses and conjugations, complex grammar, syntax, etc.
• To practice being concise – Make clear and concise sentences which give the maximum amount of information in a fluent speaking style (research specific terms, work on synonyms and nuances)
• To be able to work independently on language skills and be spontaneous in speaking contexts that require a reflex: Introducing yourself, presenting an experiment, highlighting skills, projects, etc.
Classes which allow students to work on skills required to create a personal webpage in a foreign language while integrating exercises which develop their writing and speaking skills.
The Facebook page must contain the following items: An original personal introduction (introduce oneself, your hobbies/interests, your career path), 1 Current resume (CV), presentation of a project (in pairs).
6 sessions 1 hr 30 mins each
Classes carried out in workshop format with active student participation
Speakers: Alexander Kämmer (Group 1) – Sébastien Chéné (Group 2)
Speaker: Sébastien Chéné
Teaching methods :
- Writing evaluation of the Facebook page (1st draft presented in week 12) – coef. 0.5
- Job interview simulation - 15 mins (individual, outside of class) – coef. 0.5
- Report on practicals
- Individual exam on practicals