UE Code : IM1-RIED-RIED Academic year : 2016-2017
Information on the course unit
Program / Education :
Bachelor and Master of Science in Engineering / Bachelor and Master of Science in Engineering
First year of Master of Science in Engineering
Total Hours :
75.00 (Hours of teaching + individual study)
This module corresponds to the development of an engineering process, aimed at improving environmental integration and the sustainability of complex activities on smaller sites, on real cases and in accordance with the Methodology Note prepared in the MIED Module.
Content will have a limited amount of time to be completed (44%) and will cover:
- Organizing engineering work ;
- Gathering and processing information ;
- Technical design and dimensioning,
- Supports and tools for activities or communication ;
- Reporting results ;
- Customized classes depending on project requirements, for 1/3 of the all the class totals.
Project execution will represent the main activity (66%), with the following components depending on the requirements:
- Documentary research ;
- Observations and on-site work, interviews and surveys ;
- Analyses, interpretations, verifications ;
- Production of deliverables (Oral Report and written report).
In accordance with the Methodology Note (refer to the MIED Module), the final report will recommend solutions for the aspects selected (specifications), also addressing technical, organizational and financial aspects. It will substantiate the contribution of recommended solutions to achieve environmental performance and sustainability.
Classes, Seminars (TD), Practical Work (TP) (30 hrs in class or on field trips)
Conducting the Evaluation:
- Organization, planning, logistics, design of deliverables, turn in work
Engineering design (according to the objectives selected), verifications, validations.
- Environment: Seek solutions, design, dimensioning, costing
- Sociology and communication: Designing interventions, creating supports, activities
- Micro and meso-level economics: Modelling, simulations, economic calculations, explanations, timing in phases
Projects 40.5 hrs (of which Lectures and Seminars CM-TD are 1.5 hrs – independent work is 33 hrs – field work is 6 hrs) and debriefings are 1.5 hrs
Including study subjects and the Methodological Note, work organization, field observations, design, dimensioning, preliminary budget, discussion.
Production of an evaluation report corresponding to the case at hand, debriefing
In-class Evaluation (3 hrs)
General understanding of production and transformation of agricultural products, business economics, ecology and sustainable development, such as the knowledge gained in ESA’s first cycle.
Teaching methods :
mplementation of an engineering project with a small team, with an outside project sponsor (75%)
Lectures (CM), case studies, field trips, often related to the projects being presented (25%).
Peer evaluation/cross-checking and feedback.
In-class Exams (knowledge & skills, problem-solving) - 2 credits.
Written Report (evaluated by professors and the project sponsor) – 2 credit.
Oral Report – 1 credit.
Self-Evaluation and Cross-Peer Evaluation of projects – 1 credit.