UE Code : FI-11-TER Academic year : 2016-2017
Information on the course unit
Program / Education :
Master of Science / Master Food Identity
First year of the Master Food Identity
Total Hours :
138.00 (Hours of teaching + individual study)
- Be able to understand the general concepts about the questions of the definition and the economical valorisation of typical food product.
- Be able to understand how the factors such as soil, climate, cultural practices, technologic know-how, socio-economic conditions, are involved in the construction of the specificity of a food product.
- Understand the context and the main stakes for producers and enterprises about traditional food products.
- Understand the main contribution that traditional, regional, typical food products can bring to the development of their territory. Describe some situations where the typical food products can be relevant for the strategic development of territory and enterprises, through organised visits of different structures (SMEs, farms, food processing plants, cooperatives, suppliers)
- Introduction to all the other master modules
- Concept of terroir and its diversity in Europe: example in wine industry
- Interest and perception of consumers for terroir and regional food products in Europe
- Identification of terroir products in France and Europe. Introduction to national policies of quality differentiation
- Basic concepts of economics and marketing of traditional food products
- Functioning of European institutions and international bodies
- Economic bases of business management. Serious game “M.I.M.E.: Méthode d’Initiation au Métier d’Entrepreneur” (Introduction method to “profession of entrepreneur”).
- Each student prepares a dossier to present a traditional product of his country. Technical, regulatory, strategic and economic aspects are addressed.
- Presentation of a PDO beef meat: the case of Maine-Anjou cow
- Presentation of a PGI salt: the case of Sel de Guérande
- Presentation of the week in Alpine French region
- Presentation and visit of the Terroir Resources Center (CNRS – Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique)
- Study trip, synthesis of the visits: visit of producers and retailers in different famous places about traditional food products: Savoie, Haute-Savoie, Bresse, Dombes. Every two years, Taste Fair (Terra Madre Salone del Gusto) visit to Turin (Italy).
- Presentation of the stakes linked with development and highlighting of products of terroir in Europe. Marketing strategies for producers.
- Trend of consumption for quality and terroir products in France
- How the retailers define and valorise the regional food products. Trends and innovative systems
- Microbiological agents of the regional food products
- The cultural aspect of localised products
- Group work on sales and marketing strategies for producers and distributors concerning local products.
French, English, BSc sciences, basics in biochemistry, chemistry and physics
Teaching methods :
Lectures, visit, practical work, personal work
Homework: Group report of the visits, oral presentation, individual work on documents, oral presentation
Final Exam: The Final Exam will be in class during the examination period.